11.19.2005

"i feel the seasons changing....and my life is never gonna be the same..."

gotta love hurricane jane lyrics. if you don't know..they were this great band from ok city, though i'm not sure they exist anymore. i've been rocking out to their cd in my car all week and those lyrics seemed especially appropriate.

why? because things are changing. in a few months, i will likely be moving to albuquerque. i was offered the opportunity to teach 4 courses at UNM and i've been itching to get out of texas for a while. it's really exciting, though in my head its still not official. :) but dennis is coming here to help me move and i'm probably going to look for apartments soon. hopefully by then it will have hit me that, yes, in fact, things are changing. i've never been really good at change but this is one that i'm looking forward to. however, days like today reminded me that i'm going to miss college station a lot too. not such much college station itself...but the little life i have carved out for myself here and my awesome, incredible, kick ass friends.

i went to a soc. department picnic today and i was talking with a bunch of my colleagues. it was good to be there because they reminded me of how far i have come in the past 5 years, and how much i've accomplished. and they were all so encouraging about the next part of the exam. it is still odd to think of myself as one of those ABD people. i know i'm not officially ABD, but even that i'm close is weird. i remember when i first started graduate school and looking up to those students who finished or were close to finishing. and now, i'm one of those people...and its just weird. i know i've changed in 5 years, but i still feel like a novice in some ways. here's hoping i won't feel like one on tuesday.

anyway, there's a lot of big stuff coming up and this semester that i never thought i'd make it through is quickly coming to an end. thanks to all of you guys for your constant support and friendship and love and funnies and hugs and stuff. i never would have made it this far without ya.

okay..gotta go start studying. still a saturday afternoon slacker after all these years. ;) i guess something things never change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess getting your doctorate both is AND isn't a picnic. My head hurts just thinking about it.

So you going to hook an overseas brother up with some Hurricane Jane tunes? Couldn't find 'em on cow-zaa...