1.17.2006

moon rise

on saturday night i got to watch the full moon rise from behind the mountains. it was absolutely beautiful and amazing. i saw it happen once when i lived in austria and i was mesmerized. it's nice when nature makes you stop thinking about all the stressors of life. honestly that was part of the reason i was so excited about moving here. moments of awe to break up the day. i haven't been disappointed so far.

i have to say though that it's taking a while for it to hit me that i live here now. maybe the move was so fast and furious that my brain didn't really process it. still seems like at some point mike will be taking me back to the airport and i'll be on my way to texas again. i'll meet up with tim and sara for guac and shiner and we'll bitch about stuff and laugh our asses off. (miss that). i think it just takes me some settling in time and once i get that accomplished...this will feel more like home. once all the boxes are unpacked and safely shoved under my bed, pictures are on the wall (need your help with that mike), and i have people over for the first time (which will hopefully be soon), i suspect it will all sink in. this is not to be read that i'm not happy to be here. i definitely am (though i miss my texas peeps something fierce). it's just hard to get out of the "what's coming up next" mode. i've been anticipating moving and finding a job for so long, i have to break my old habits and realize that i've done it. :) anyone else have this problem or is this specifically and idiosyncratically kate?

in other news, i start teaching tomorrow. i was/am really nervous about it, but i think it will go well. i finally got my syllabus done for the methods course and feel much better about that now. gotta go copy it this afternoon, check out my classrooms, get a parking pass, and submit a paper or two to the american sociological association meeting. busy busy busy.

3 comments:

SaraJ said...

Kate,
miss you too. and I am totally in the whole "still preparing" mode. nothing "gels" with me until the first crisis. but that's my idiosyncracy.

Shells said...

i STILL haven't hung all i want to hang on my walls. :-p and i have new boxes all over my living room from my spankin' new computer. :-D my idiosyncracies would take too long to list tho. ;-) fightin' texas aggie moving!

Rufus said...

The best advice I ever got about teaching was, "Remember when you enter the classroom that you won't know everything, but you'll know more than any of the students do."